The year was 1896, and the first KCS train had not yet come to Mena, but a group of Methodists who had just arrived met for prayer meetings and testimonies under a brush arbor on the corner of Maple and Fourth Streets. Their pastor, Reverend J. Y. Christmas, instigated the construction of a simple church with a sawdust floor and rough timber walls, for the congregants to have shelter from the elements.
On August 2, 1896, the first formalized religious service was held in Mena. The group later purchased the lot on the corner of Seventh and Church Streets. During that first year, about 100 new members were added to the rolls. One of the earliest members was Mrs. Dora Horner Harshman, mother to Holly Harshman, for whom the elementary school is named.
In 1906 two lots were purchased on the corner of Port Arthur and Ninth Streets due to the rapid growth of the church. In 1907 the cornerstone was set at that site for Mena First United Methodist Church which remains at that location today. Several additions and renovations have added space and beauty to the existing structure.
FUMCs organizations. Throughout the years, FUMC has remained strong in the foundations of faith laid by the Reverend John Wesley and his teachings on equality and caring.
A complete church history is available in the church office.